Vegetarian Burrito Bites with Spicy Guacamole
This recipe was developed and featured on The Live-In Kitchen. The original blog post can be read here.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 25 min.
Cook Time: 20 min.
- Vegetarian Burrito Bites
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 15 ounces canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 oz (1 can) Rio Luna diced green chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Coarse kosher salt
- 8-10 large flour tortillas
- Spicy Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup chopped Rio Luna nacho sliced jalapeños
- 1/2 a roma tomato seeds removed, diced
- Juice of one lime
- Coarse kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for one more minute. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, pinto beans, diced green chiles, cheese, and salt to taste.
- If your tortillas are cold, you may want to warm them for 30 seconds in the microwave to make them more pliable. Lay one tortilla out on a clean work surface and cut into four equal triangles. Put a small spoonful of filling on each triangle. Starting from the pointy end, fold up, then fold both sides in and continue rolling tightly into a burrito. Lay seam side down on a lightly greased baking sheet. You may need to press down gently on each burrito to get it to stay put on it’s seam. Continue with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Bake the burritos at 350ºF for 12-14 minutes, until crisp and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, make the guacamole by mashing the avocado in a medium sized bowl. Add the onion, jalapeños, tomato, lime juice, salt, cilantro, and red pepper flakes if using. Stir to combine.
- Serve the burritos warm with bowls of spicy guacamole, sour cream, and salsa for dipping if desired.